About 6-12 Programs
Please contact Jessamy Schwartz at least 2 weeks in advance to schedule a program: email or 218-730-4500 ext. 205. Costs listed below are in addition to zoo admission unless otherwise stated. There is no additional program charge for adults attending programs with a student group.
Cost: Add $2.00 per student, $35 minimum
- Zoo Jobs – Learn what it’s like to work at a zoo! Meet four live animals as you explore the careers of zookeeper, animal trainer, educator and veterinarian.
- Animal Classification – Live animals will help students test their animal classification skills.
- Animal Behavior Studies – Learn what it’s like to be a field biologist as we uncover the mysterious lives of animals through observation and data recording.
- Raptors – Close encounters with birds of prey provide a memorable experience to learn about bird adaptations and ecological concepts.
Zoo Careers: Behind the Scenes
Cost: Add $3.00 per student, $55 minimum
Experience what it’s like to work at a zoo! Students will learn about the many jobs at a zoo including zookeepers, educators and veterinarians. Tour behind the scenes, prepare animal diets, observe animal training, read x-rays, and more!
Zookeeper Job Shadowing
Cost: $30 per student (includes zoo admission). Minimum of 2 people.
Do you have a small group of teens interested in zoo keeping? This 3-hour program allows 2-4 students to spend a morning helping behind the scenes at the zoo. They’ll get to make animal diets and enrichments, tour our veterinary clinic, clean a holding area, watch animal training and more!
Schedule a morning that works best for your group by contacting Jessamy via email or phone: 218-730-4500 ext. 205.
Guided Zoo Tour
Cost: Add $2.50 per student, $45 minimum
Tour the zoo with an experienced guide and hear stories and “behind the scenes” information about our animals. Groups larger than 15 people will be split into multiple groups.
Guided Experience Package
It’s easier than ever to take a field trip to the zoo! Just show up with your students and lunches, and we’ll provide a 60-minute education class of your choosing, indoor lunch space, and a guided tour!
Cost: Add $4.00 per student, $80 minimum
Available November 1 through April 30
Classes must visit the zoo from 10:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Two classes (max. 60 students) from a school can participate each day
Email Jessamy for a sample itinerary and more information
Running short on time? This option allows your students to learn about owls or bats during a quick animal encounter. Students cannot touch the animal.
Cost: Add $1.50 per student, $25 minimum
- Owls – Meet a live owl, explore owl biofacts and learn about the characteristics of these nocturnal raptors.
- Bats – Stay up all night, sleep all winter, eat insects – learn what it’s like to be a bat! We’ll visit with a live fruit bat and learn the important jobs bats do for us.
Groups receive a discount on general admission if they make a Group Reservation in advance.
For questions or more information contact:
(218) 730-4500 ext. 205
Our Teacher Newsletter has everything you need to know before you book your field trip!
Field Trip Guide
Use our Field Trip Guide to plan a successful trip and answer questions you may have prior to your visit.