Growing WILD together!
Registration is open January 16 – February 19, 2023 by clicking on the links below. If you are interested in both summer and school year sessions, you must register for each session separately. We will hold an Open House for interested families on Tuesday, January 17 from 3:00-6:00 p.m.
Zoo School is full for the current school year. If you are interested in joining our waiting list for possible mid-year enrollment, please click the link below.
Our values: Growth, Wonder, Integrity, Love, Diversity
- Growth. We believe in the sacredness of childhood. We understand this incredible stage of human development, and we honor it by encouraging children to play and by supporting their growth, as we play and grow ourselves. We also commit to grow as an early childhood education program rooted in educational research.
- Wonder. We believe in the power of curiosity. We know that an open-minded approach to life allows imaginations to grow and flourish, connections to form, and meaning to be built. We see the world with new eyes each day.
- Integrity. We commit to becoming the best version of ourselves. Young children learn by observing the role models in their lives. We strive to provide strong models for children to imitate, and we teach children the power of their own words and actions.
- Love. We embrace that loving, safe relationships are the foundation of high-quality early childhood education. We approach our families, our children, and our work with love in an effort to build a compassionate community.
- Diversity. We recognize that everyone is different, and that our differences strengthen us as a community. Together, we create a place where all children are free to discover and to celebrate their own unique cultures and identities.
Our mission: To inspire the healthy social emotional, physical, creative, and cognitive development of young children through close-up experiences with animals and nature.
The Lake Superior Zoo School is a
4 Star Parent Aware rated program!
Parent Aware is Minnesota’s voluntary rating system for early childhood programs, including those in centers, homes, schools, and churches. Programs that participate in the Parent Aware rating program at any star level are going above and beyond the basic licensing requirements by taking additional trainings and developing curriculum and family support systems that research shows lead to children’s success in future schooling. Higher levels of rating also mean more state and county scholarship support is available to help each family pay for preschool! Learn more about what the star levels mean: http://parentaware.org/learn/stars-defined/
Days, Times, and Tuition Rates
- Monday-Friday; 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- 2022-2023 School Year Session: Tuesday, September 6, 2022 – Thursday, June 8, 2023
- Full-time M-F: $900 per month, $270 deposit covers June 1-8
- Part-time (Tu/Th): $360 per month, $135 deposit covers June 1-8
- Part-time (M/W/F): $540 per month, $135 deposit covers June 1-8
- Summer 2023 Dates & Tuition Rates
- 2023-2024 School Year Dates & Tuition Rates
Frequently Asked Questions
Apply using the buttons above. Applications will be accepted until all spots are filled. A $25 application fee is due when applying.
The Lake Superior Zoo School is open to children ages 33 months (fully potty trained) to 5 years old located in the Twin Ports area. We accept payment through the Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) and Early Learning Scholarships.
Registered families will either be offered a spot at Zoo School or placed on the waitlist for the session in which they registered. Priority of placement is as follows: 1) children of zoo employees, 2) previously enrolled children, 3) siblings of previously enrolled children, 4) families in need of financial assistance, 5) new families requesting full time care, 6) new families requesting part time care. Placements will be made on an ongoing basis if spots are still available.
Yes, once you are offered a spot, there is a $200 non-refundable deposit that holds your child’s place and pay for supplies.
• Arrival & Inside Play
• Morning Meeting
• Playscape Play
• Zoo Walk
• Quiet Play
• Outside Play
• Playscape Play & Departure
Learn more about our program plan here.
Tuition is collected through Brightwheel via automatic bank withdrawal or credit card.
Please see our 2022-2023 Calendar
Our 2023-2024 Calendar will be available soon
LSZS COVID-19 Policies & Procedures (updated 8/29/22)
We have a class size of 18 children per day with 3 teachers and additional support staff.
If our enrollment is full, you can check out these other high-quality nature programs in the Duluth Nature Play Collaborative:
• Secret Forest Playschool
• Wind Ridge Schoolhouse
• Kindred Paths Nature School
• Wandering Roots Nature School
• Spirit of the Lake Community School Kinderfarm
• Hartley Nature Preschool
For questions or more information contact:
(218) 730-4500 ext. 214