About Zoo Crew
Zoo Crew is an educational program for ages 13-17 that provides a hands-on experience with animal care, conservation education, and zoo operations. Teens learn how to handle and care for animals, work alongside zookeepers, and teach zoo visitors about wildlife and conservation issues. The teens we select for this program must show desire to interact with and talk to the public, take direction well, and work hard.
Zoo Crew 2020 has been cancelled because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Zoo Crew runs mid June through mid August. Space is limited and students must apply by May 1st.
- Zoo Crew runs for 10 weeks. Participants must be available to attend:
- One evening orientation with a parent/guardian. Dates TBA.
- One morning or afternoon shift during the first week for an in-depth orientation.
- One morning or afternoon shift for at least 6 other weeks during the summer (you may choose which weeks).
- Shifts are available Monday-Thursday. You may choose from morning shifts (9 a.m.-12 noon) and afternoon shifts (1-4 p.m.). You do not have to come for the same shift every week.
- Choosing to participate more frequently (all 10 weeks, full days, or multiple shifts each week) is an option and depends on space availability during any given week.
- The fee for participation in this program is $100 plus $10 for a t-shirt. The fee includes training, supervision, educational seminars, behind-the-scenes experiences, program supplies, name tag, and more.
Looking for a shorter time commitment? Check out our Zookeeper Job Shadowing Program.
Applications will be available in April. For questions or more information contact:
(218) 730-4500 ext. 214