About Zoo Crew
Zoo Crew is an educational program for ages 13-17 that provides a hands-on experience with animal care, conservation education, and zoo operations. Teens learn how to handle and care for animals, work alongside zookeepers, and teach zoo visitors about wildlife and conservation issues. The teens we select for this program must show desire to interact with and talk to the public, take direction well, and work hard.
Zoo Crew runs June 17 – August 22, 2019. Space is limited and students must apply. The application deadline was May 1, 2019. Check back next March /April to apply for the 2020 summer season.
- Zoo Crew runs for 10 weeks. Participants must be available to attend:
- One evening orientation with a parent/guardian in early June (6/6 or 6/11 from 6-7 p.m.).
- One morning or afternoon shift during the first week (June 17-20) for an in-depth orientation.
- One morning or afternoon shift for at least 6 other weeks during the summer (you may choose which weeks).
- Shifts are available Monday-Thursday. You may choose from morning shifts (9 a.m.-12 noon) and afternoon shifts (1-4 p.m.). You do not have to come for the same shift every week.
- Choosing to participate more frequently (all 10 weeks, full days, or multiple shifts each week) is an option and depends on space availability during any given week.
- The fee for participation in this program is $100 plus $10 for a t-shirt. The fee includes training, supervision, educational seminars, behind-the-scenes experiences, program supplies, name tag, and more.
Looking for a shorter time commitment? Check out our Zookeeper Job Shadowing Program.
For questions or more information contact:
(218) 730-4500 ext. 214